Thursday 4 April 2013

Review: Elemental Herbology Cell Food



On our trip to London back in February, I picked up a couple of items that had been on my skincare wish list in the Space NK on Westbourne Grove. One of the products I got my hands on was Elemental Herbology's Cell Food.

According to the box, Cell Food is a radiance and vitality serum which contains a 'power house of proteins, vitamins and anti-oxidants' to counter the skin damaging effects of ageing, lifestyle and the environment. It is designed to awaken dull and under-nourished skin and is said to be perfect for use on long haul flights, when the skin needs an extra boost of hydration.

Although my skin is naturally oily and very blemish-prone, I've recently noticed that it's tending to be quite dehydrated too. I'm hoping it's just a phase, caused by the extreme cold weather, and not just because my skin is starting to give up! Anyway, having read some positive reviews about this serum, I wanted to give it a try.

The product itself comes in a small glass bottle with a dropper dispenser. Though this is quite fun to use, I imagine it could get quite messy if accidentally knocked over and would make it less easy to travel with, despite it's pro-travelling claims (at 30ml though, it is at least hand luggage-friendly). I also have concerns about how hygenic the dropper is, especially as the serum has quite a thick consistency. 

This consistancy feels lovely on the skin and sinks in quite quickly. Cell Food has quite a distinct smell though, and this definitely lingers. I don't dislike it, but it almost smells medicinal, verging on spicy - not the Rose smell I'd been hoping for!

And it might be the ingredients creating this smell that have caused me to have issues with the product. I started using it religiously, twice a day before moisturiser, but within a couple of days of use my skin started to turn quite red and blotchy. The red patches didn't necessarily hurt, but they became a little flaky and so I can only presume that I was reacting to something within the product - I stopped using Cell Food and my skin cleared up. I've found it quite strange as my skin is normally very robust; I've not experienced an allergic reaction to a new product before.

I'm now using Cell Food more infrequently, only in the evenings perhaps once or twice a week. This is allowing me to use up the bottle (at £42, I can't afford not to use it, red patches or no red patches) and I am now enjoying its moisturising effects, without the redness. I have to be honest though and say that, although it leaves my skin feeling soft and nourished, it hasn't helped solve my dehydration issues, though this may of course be because I can't use it as frequently as directed.

Overall, I'm glad I've been able to try Cell Food, but it probably isn't something I'd purchase again. I'm really disappointed that this hasn't worked wonders for me as I love what Elemental Herbology stands for (their products are all made in the UK and are free from synthetic fragrance, artificial colour, mineral oil, sulphates and paraben preservatives). My experience certainly hasn't put me off trying other products in their range, though I may try and get samples first, just to be sure my skin doesn't react in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment