Saturday 24 August 2013

Hitting the streets in Uplands

Mr. O and I were finally in town at the right time to catch Swansea's newest street market in Uplands this weekend! We missed the first one last month, but I've been really excited to experience this new event, especially as the organisers seem to be very keen to create a market that not only gives local traders a chance to show of their wares, but that utilises public space for arts and culture and that also provides a platform for community growth and regeneration in this creative area of the city.

The market this morning was absolutely buzzing with an incredible atmosphere, lots of people out on the streets, chatting and seemingly just enjoying being part of the event itself. The market is already oversubscribed, with a waiting list for pitches, but of the traders that were there, there was a good mix of food producers, craft and homeware stalls. I was also really impressed by how many local shops had taken pitches (The Lazy Frog and The Gower Kitchen, to name just two) and how the effect of the market seemed to be spilling beyond the stalls themselves and into all the nearby cafes and restaurants - exactly as the organisers had hoped, I'm sure!


I'm pretty rubbish at taking photos at markets, because I'm always worried about how annoyed the stallholders might get - silly I know and something I'm going to have to try had to get over.

After wandering for about an hour, taking it all in, we decided to stop for lunch at The Gower Kitchen - hard to resist as it's pretty much our favourite restaurant in Swansea, but also because there weren't as many street food options as we'd expected. Lunch was delicious though - just look at Mr. O's pork dish! I, of course, couldn't resist a burger, especially as I had the chance to add not only bacon, but Welsh rarebit too. Unbelievably good, something which Dad agreed with me on!

Sod's law, we're probably going to miss the next couple of markets too, but I'm really looking forward to coming back in a few months time to see how this new event continues to grow.

Uplands Market (last Saturday of every month, except August when it's the 3rd Saturday), Gwydr Square, Uplands, Swansea SA2 0HD
The Gower Kitchen, 39 Uplands Crescent, Uplands, Swansea SA2 0NP

No comments:

Post a Comment