Monday 24 June 2013

A family reunion in Cambridge

What is fast becoming a scary number of years ago, I spent some of the happiest time of my life in Cambridge, meeting incredible people, making incredible friends and - sometimes - doing a bit of learning too.

There's something so very special about this beautiful city - the history, beauty of its architecture, the stories hidden in every nook and cranny. It's also blessed with the most gorgeous light, which only adds to its otherworldiness. It truly is a city to explore, to get lost in, to find yourself in, to absorb. I love it and only wish I could get back there more often.

Luckily for me, my lovely Daisy is also going through this most incredible of experiences. Life has meant getting to visit her hasn't been as easy as I'd have liked, but I couldn't resist the chance to spend time with her in this city we share, during the craziness of May Week. Brother number two also made the trip, so the whole gang was nearly all back together again.


We spent our time together exploring her college and mine, me reminiscing like a grandma about all the things we'd got up to in 'my time'. The wonderful thing about a place like Cambridge is that life, and traditions, go on...and on and on. This place that was so mine, so ours, for three years, didn't feel quite as mine any more. Overrun with another bunch of young things - owning it without realising that it won't be theirs forever, that they'll be replaced by the next group of recruits, who use the same words and have the same adventures. It's comforting, a little sad and exciting all at the same time. I am lucky - life is so very good and it was this place that really set me off on my path.


Food, as always, was plentiful and delicious. Aromi has arrived in Cambridge since I left, but I know it would have been a favourite if we'd been there together. My pizza slice was delicious and Daisy loved her arancini. The only downside was that the cafe is small and we had a bit of a scramble for chairs, but got there in the end. I suppose the fact that it was so ram packed speaks volumes for its food!

Another new addition is The Cambridge Brew House, a pretty flashy 'pub' that has replaced the much-loved Bun Shop. The place felt really cool, a great atmosphere, and we had lovely service, but the food didn't quite live up to our expectations. The ideas were definitely spot on - British tapas starters (think Scotch eggs and deep fried Cottage Pie), meats smoked and cured in-house and a long list of proper puddings, but the dishes we ordered just weren't as 'wow' as the menu had them billed. 


Regardless, our starters and main courses went down well and it wasn't until dessert (which we shared) that we really came unstuck. None of us could put our finger on it, but our chocolate tart definitely tasted of something other than chocolate. Spice? Cleaning product? We weren't sure. Of course, when asked, we did the typically British thing and said how lovely it had been and that we'd just been a bit too full to finish it - oh that classic British reserve!



My forever favourite restaurant in Cambridge - and one I'm always relieved to still see every time I go back - is Yippee Noodles. I have so many happy memories that focus around this place and the delicious food that it serves up - health on a plate! It's my top tip and a place I look forward to having many more happy meals at in the future.


Saying goodbye to Lewis and welcoming our cousin on day two, the evening descended to the only place it can when it comes to three girls sharing a room together - multiple cakes and face packs. I'm sure there would have been a film, only the cake was too good for us to concentrate on anything else! We laughed and laughed and, sure enough, I added another set of happy memories to the Cambridge bank.


Aromi, 1 Bene't Street, Cambridge CB2 3QN
The Cambridge Brew House, 1 King Street, Cambridge CB1 1LH
Yippee Noodles, 7-9 King Street, Cambridge CB1 1LH

No comments:

Post a Comment